Now that my vision is clearing from banging my head against the wall for the last hour I’m going to put this out there for the next poor sap that needs to edit how WordPress Gallery
butchers crops thumbnail images.
Here is what I was dealing with:
So obviously WordPress just crops from the center which can be fine but not what I needed. So HERE is how you fix the the thumbnail crop problem:
- Go into your wordpress admin panel
- Open up the Media Panel
- Then click on Library
- Now find the image that you need to adjust the thumbnail for
- Hoover near the image and click on “Edit”
- Below the image hit the “edit Image” button
- Pay attention!! Over to the right under “Thumbnail Settings” make sure to check off the “Thumbnail” radio button. This is all we want to apply our change to. If you don’t do that you’ll edit every version of the image, which will be a pain to fix.
- Next, click on the image and drag your mouse. It will make a cropping square. Drag it around and capture the area that you’d like to be the thumbnail. I always make mine as square as possible by hand and then even it out with the “Selection” area. Have a look.
- Here comes the amazingly simple but not explained anywhere part. Click on the Crop Tool. That will show you what your new cropped thumbnail looks like. We’re almost done!!
- Now click on Save
- THEN “Update Media”
Noooow. Isn’t that better: